Saturday, April 2, 2011

Banana Cake



For my tropical themed cake, I wanted a tropical flavor as well!  I decided to go with a banana cake.  The recipe is from the crazy about cupcakes by Krystina Castella book from Kohls.  I had a slight baking disaster making this cake, but was able to save it.  I checked the cake with a toothpick and thought it came out clean.  However, after the cakes cooled they sank in the middle.  I went ahead and stuck them in the freezer to cool them quicker and then when I split them to begin frosting realized they were way undercooked.  I wanted to try to save them so I put them on a cookie sheet and stuck them back in the oven.  I was worried about the outcome because the outside got a little crunchy.  However, a few people told me this was their favorite cake yet!  Successful save!  The picture shows the cake layered with a chocolate cake as well.  Yummy, combo.

Banana Cake

1/2 lb unsalted room temperature butter (2 sticks)
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. mashed ripe bananas
1 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
5 TBS milk
2 tsp vanilla

1.  Preheat oven to 350 deg F.  Prepare pans.  (I doubled the recipe and was able to get 2-8" and 1-6" cake)
2.  Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy about 3-5 minutes.  Add the eggs to the mixture and beat well.  Add the bananas and mix well.
3. In separate bowl sift the flour, baking soda, and salt.
4.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until integrated.
5.  Add the milk and vanilla and mix for 1 minute on medium.
6.  Fill the pans and bake for about 20-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

1 comment: