Sunday, March 27, 2011

Apple Baked Pancake



I love apple pancakes.  I love my Grandma's thin apple pancakes, I love when my dad makes crepes with an apple filling, and I love apple pancakes that are baked in the oven (we used to get them at a place called The Pancake Pantry.)  This pancake is a recipe my parents sent me that reminded them of The Pancake Pantry apple pancake.   This pancake is a perfect breakfast treat for me!  Thank you mom and dad for finding this one and sharing it with me (sorry, I have no clue where this recipe originally came from!)  I've made other versions before, but this one is by far the best I've made at home! 

Apple Pancake
2 tart cooking apples, sliced1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 eggs 
beaten and room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour 
1/2 cup milk, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
7 tablespoons butter  (I maybe used 1 TBS, and I used a spread instead)



Preheat oven to 425° F.


In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, salt, flour, milk, and vanilla extract; beat until batter is smooth (the batter will be thin, but very smooth and creamy); set aside.

In a large heavy ovenproof frying pan over medium heat, melt butter, tilting pan to cover sides. Add apples and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon mixture. Stir and let cook for 5 to 7 minutes to slightly cook the apple slices; remove from heat.


Pour prepared batter over apples into baking pan. Place pan in preheated oven and bake approximately 20 minutes or until puffed above sides of the pan and lightly browned (it may puff irregularly in the center); remove from oven.

Remove pancake from the baking pan by flipping upside down onto a serving platter (apples and cinnamon will be on top). Once out of the oven, the pancake will begin to deflate. To serve, cut into serving-size wedges and transfer to individual serving plates.

2 comments: