Saturday, March 12, 2011

Grandma's Pie Crust


I don't even like pie crust... or pie for that matter.  Talking to D... he doesn't really like pie crust either.  I do know that my Grandma's pie crust is better than any other pie crust, but I still never really ate it.  My mom always loved pie crust.  Especially when my Grandma would take the extra and make cookies with it.. sprinkling the dough with sugar.

Pie was on my mind and I wanted to have it.  So off I went on the adventure to make pie crust.  I talked to my mom and she told me that she uses a pastry cutter to cut the shortening into the flour.. I don't have one so I attempted to do it with 2 knives, I think it actually worked out.  A little more difficult then pastry cutter.  Next, she told me after I added the water to not handle it too much... I'm pretty sure I handled it too much.  I had trouble rolling it.  However, I did get a pie crust into my dish and a pie in the oven.  And... I finally admit it... I LOVE THIS PIE CRUST!!

My Grandma's Crust

2 cups Sifted flour
1 tsp Salt
3/4 c Shortening
Cut shortening into flour using 2 knives (or a pastry cutter).
1/4 c. water

Bring together handling as little as possible.  Next roll out the crust to fit into your pie pan.  This recipe will make 2 crusts.

This is what the mixture looked like when I was cutting with 2 knives.

No comments:

Post a Comment