Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Orange Marmalade Chicken


Finally, something other than a dessert!  When I'm not making dessert I'm trying to take meals and make them healthier.  I know I'm either one extreme or another.  I can't help it I have a sweet tooth and I need to make up for it somehow!  Trust me I'll be hitting the gym a little more this week because of that pie and cake! 

Usually by the time I get home from work and go to the gym its rather late cooking dinner, which isn't a problem because D has class at night anyway.  So during the week I'm looking for quick cooking no fuss meals.  We had some low sugar orange marmalade left over from some homemade BBQ sauce so I decided to finally put it to use on this recipe I found on Eating Well and then modified slightly... mostly just nixing the olive oil and shallots (which I would normally sub in onions but I was too lazy to chop!)  Below is my modified recipe and if you'd like the original follow the link by clicking on the name of the dish below.

Orange Marmalade Chicken (Modified from Eating Well)

Ingredients
• 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons orange marmalade (I increased to 3 and used the low sugar kind)
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon cornstarch
• 1 pound chicken cut into pieces
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1. Whisk broth, vinegar, marmalade, mustard and cornstarch in a medium bowl.
2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat sprayed with cooking spray. Add the chicken and cook until golden. Transfer to a plate.

3. Whisk the broth mixture and add it to the pan. Bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook until the sauce is slightly reduced and thickened. Add the chicken; return to a simmer. Cook until the chicken is heated back through, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and serve.

Note:
  • The sauce thickens even more when sitting, by the time D got home to eat his the sauce was much thicker and coated the chicken much more than when I ate.
  • This would be really good served with rice (but we avoid that carb) or tofu shiratki noodles since they are such a great noodle swap.

No comments:

Post a Comment