Monday, March 7, 2011

One Bowl Yellow Cake


As you know I'm taking cake decorating.  Also.. as you may know.. I'm stubborn...  I feel the need to not use cake mix and to bake my own from scratch cakes each week.  I'm taking this opportunity to try different cake recipes so I can have a few favorite standbys.  This week I was looking for something fast and easy because I had already spent must of Saturday in the kitchen and didn't want to spend all day Sunday doing the same.  After a quick Google search for a one-bowl yellow cake, I quickly found this one... deemed The Best One-Bowl Yellow cake.  This cake turned out delicious and was a breeze to make.  It was just as quick as a cake mix and tasted way better!!  As you can see from the picture these weren't the thickest cakes, but I was still able to split them to make a four layer cake.  If you use 9" pans I would double the recipe.

Here is the recipe just in case the link doesn't work.

Old-Fashioned Yellow Cake
(adapted from McCall's Book of Cakes and Pies via Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice)

2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 + 1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans.
2. In a large mixing bowl sift flour and sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Add butter, milk and vanilla. Beat with a hand mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, occasionally scraping sides of bowl.
4. Add eggs, beat for 2 more minutes.
5. Pour batter into prepared pans, dividing equally among both. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
6. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Turn out and cool thoroughly on wire racks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment