Thursday, March 10, 2011

Slightly sweet and spicy slaw



We watch the Food Network quite often. Way too often, we aren’t the biggest fans of the Neely’s show.. Don’t get me wrong I’d love to try their BBQ, but I get annoyed watching them. However, we always wanted to try their slaw. They talk about it quite often and its suppose to be a huge hit in their restaurant. Well, now it’s a big hit at our house. It has become our go to slaw (not that we eat slaw that much!)  We've made this to go along with Pulled Pork (D smoked it himself) and also to go inside our Tuna Tacos.

My modifications are:
- I cut back the cayenne, because I can’t handle too much heat.
- If I use real sugar I cut way back! Most often I use artificial sweetener and I only use about 1/8 cup (not that I have a measuring cup that size, but I only fill up the ¼ cup about half way.)

Neely's Sweet and Spicy Slaw (Via Food Network)
Ingredients
• 2 pounds green cabbage (or use 2 bags slaw mix)• 4 carrots
• 1 medium yellow onion
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise (Just a side note I've used Miracle whip and the olive oil mayo and it tastes perfect!)
• 1/4 cup mustard
• 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Cut cabbage in quarters and remove core. Peel carrots and onion and cut into pieces that would fit through the feed tube of a food processor. Fit food processor with the large-holed grater attachment and push cabbage, carrots, and onions through feed tube to grate. In a large bowl, toss vegetables together.

In another medium bowl, prepare the coleslaw dressing by whisking together the mayonnaise, mustard, cider vinegar, sugar, black pepper, and cayenne. Toss dressing with the cabbage mixture, and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment