Monday, March 7, 2011

Brown Sugar Cake








Week two of cake decorating class, homework is to bring in 2- 8" cakes thick enough to split.  Chef says its ok to use cake mix, this isn't a baking class it is a decorating class....  However, I'm stubborn I will make my cakes from scratch each week and I will try different recipes!  Where do I head first??  My fave cake book Sky High of course.  For my first cake I decided to try to cake used in the Pina Colada cake.  It is a brown sugar cake.  Brown sugar is AMAZING!

This cake isn't what I expected.  I really did like it, but it was more dense then I expected.  It was more like a pound cake then a typical airy layer cake.  The slices need to be cut very thin of this cake because since its so dense its rich.  Everyone at work seemed to really like it, but who doesn't like cake at work?!?!

I also wanted my cakes to be extra thick so they could be split to form the four layers in class so split the recipe between 2-8" pans.  The recipe is originally for 3- 9" cakes, but this makes thinner cakes so you don't have to split the layers.  (so either make 2-8" really thick cakes or 3-9" thinner cakes).


Brown Sugar CakeFrom: Sky High: Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes
By Alisa Huntsman and Peter Wynne
3¾ cups cake flour
1¾ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2¼ cups packed light brown sugar
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1¾ cups buttermilk
5 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract

Cake method
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and line the base of three 9inch cake pans.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Whisk gently to combine. Add the brown sugar, butter and 1½ cups of the buttermilk to the dry ingredients. With the mixer on low blend to incorporate. Raise the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
Whisk the eggs with the remaining ¼ cup buttermilk and the vanilla and add to the batter in 3 additions, scraping down the sides of the bowl well and beating only long enough to incorporate between additions. Divide the batter between the 3 pans.
Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let the layers cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks, carefully peel off the paper and allow to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment