Monday, March 7, 2011

Yeasted Overnight Waffles


I really wanted waffles for breakfast this past Saturday.  I got up Saturday morning planning on trying to make yeasted waffles, I turned on the computer, opened up Google and searched for a recipe.  I was really let down..  every recipe I wanted to try was an overnight recipe!  Why didn't I know this?!?  Ugh.. Waffles would have to wait until Sunday morning!  I'm glad I decided to wait, these waffles were just what I wanted.  They were really crispy on the outside and just melted on the inside.  The yeast gave a wonderful flavor.  I still love my mom's buttermilk waffles but these are just good!    They are also a made over version of a yeasted waffle so they are much healthier.


  • 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 cups warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour  (I used whole wheat)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
1.  In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water,  Add sugar, and allow to stand for 5 minutes.  Add milk, egg yolks, butter, and oil.  Place egg whites in fridge for use in morning.  Combine the flour and salt; stir into milk mixture.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2.  In morning allow egg whites come to room temperature. (~30 minutes).  Beat egg whites until stiff peaks from. Stir batter and then fold in egg whites.
3.  Heat waffle iron, pour batter into waffle iron and cook/


No comments:

Post a Comment